WORKSHOP Tree of Life - Creativity and Design

by - Monday, April 22, 2013

Registration Opens June 24 at 10am

2013 Maiwa Textile Symposium
Lorraine Roy



$250 includes 60 lab fee
October 23, 24, 2013 - Class Limit 14
Maiwa Loft: Above the Net Loft, Granville Is. Vancouver BC

Few life forms have inspired as many stories, mythologies, and legends as our giant companions. As the oldest living creatures, they bring to mind security, shelter, and connections to our past, yet they harbour mysteries as well. 

In this workshop students will examine all aspects of the tree, from the scientific to the fanciful, to create designs that reflect a personal symbolism.

The “Tree of Life” theme is very close to Lorraine’s heart. Using collage with nets*, simple machine appliqué, and machine embroidery as our techniques, we will work with all the components of a design that features trees: background, foreground, and main subject.

In order to hit the ground running, partipants will be asked to collect information about their favourite tree to prepare for the workshop.

Participants can expect to create a number of samples and one or more finished surfaces that can be completed or mounted at home. Ideas for framing and finishing will be demonstrated.

Participants must have a working knowledge of free-motion stitchery. Each must bring a sewing machine equipped with a darning or embroidery foot.

* Collage with Nets:
I begin with a plain fabric ground. On this surface I drop hundreds of bits of cut fabric and thread until I reach a depth and texture that pleases me. I then pin transparent netting on top (usually nylon tulle) to hold everything in place. The layers are then machine-stitched together. This new fabric is now ready for further surface work.


Instructor Bio

Lorraine writes of herself “My science education and my love of fabric set the stage for a unique art career. As I became proficient, I devoted more and more time to my art until, just over twenty five years ago, it became a full time occupation. Not surprisingly, most of my imagery was, and is, inspired by trees. Trees are classic symbols of our connection with the natural world. And what better medium than fabric, itself a plant or animal product, to capture and reflect the attributes of nature? My latest imagery combines realism and abstraction, providing ample room for interpretation and sensual pleasure. Nothing brings me more joy than to coax order and beauty out of a messy jumble of materials. I like to think that my art imitates life.”

You May Also Like

0 comments

We moderate comments to keep posts on-topic, avoid spam, and inappropriate language. Comments should appear within 24 hours.